Monday, September 20, 2010

Breaking Out

Sometimes it's nice to change your direction and focus on creating images that are outside your comfort zone. I for one have never been a very strong abstract photographer, yet while at school I loved the work of Rodchenko. And while a Constructivist and not strictly speaking an abstract photographer, his work really challenged perspective and made the frame a place where we can confound and displace our relationship with the figure/ground. What we typically call abstract photography today is generally unworthy of Rodchenko's name, but for me, his photography will always be the place I start from when thinking of abstract photography.


And in my case abstract photography always means bad images. But being bad at something usually means I just need some more practice, and that's where stepping outside one's comfort zone and exploring new genres can really become educational. I have seen Ghery's Pritzker Pavillion photographed millions of different ways, and had been impressed by a handful of skilled photographers who seemed well versed in the abstract style. So, with a mission in mind, and a great subject at hand, I took myself to task and tried to create some images that went beyond my own comfort zone. A nice change for me with some rather nice results I think.











No comments:

RedTown Photography Blog

Welcome to RedTown Photography (the blog edition). We started this blog as the top secret meeting location to pass photos back and forth while our website was developing. Now its open to everyone to enjoy and will contain a much wider scope of topics and material as we muse about photography, life, politics, art, and of course, Guiness. Be sure to visit our website: www.redtownphotography.com. Cheers!

Contributors

Blog Archive